Use the zoom function for close-up or wide-angle recording.
This camcorder allows you to record using optical power zoom 34x, intelli-zoom 42x and
2200x digital zoom.
• The Zoom lever is on the top of the camcorder.
• You can also use the zoom function by moving the Joystick (W/T) up or down.
To zoom in
Slide the zoom lever towards T (telephoto).
To zoom out
Slide the zoom lever towards W (wide-angle).
• Zoom magnification over 34x is done through digital image processing, and is, therefore,
called digital zoom. Digital zooming is possible up to 2200x.
Set “Zoom Type” to the desired value. page 86
You can set the digital zoom up to 2200x during video recording.
• If you operate the zoom (W/T) lever during recording, the sound of the lever may be
recorded as well.
• The minimum possible distance between the camcorder and subject while
maintaining sharp focus is about 1 cm (about 0.39 inch) for wide angle and 90 cm
(about 35.43 inches) for telephoto.
• The focus changes when zooming after focusing manually. Focus automatically or
seize the desired scene by zooming before focusing manually. page 79
• Optical zoom and intelli-zoom preserve the video quality, but during digital zoom
the image quality may suffer.
• The zoom speed differs when using the zoom (W/T) lever and the Joystick
(W/T). For a faster zoom, use the zoom (W/T) lever. For a slower zoom, move
the Joystick (W/T) up or down. The Joystick (W/T) is useful when zooming the
disc mode: recording/playback
W : Wide angle
T : Telephoto