To select the proper gear position for maximum
deceleration (engine braking), tap the shift lever to the
left (-) repeatedly as the vehicle slows. The transmission
will shift to the range from which the vehicle can best be
The automatic transmission includes an electronically
controlled Overdrive (sixth gear). The transmission will
automatically shift into Overdrive if the following con-
ditions are present:
• The shift lever is in the DRIVE position.
• The transmission fluid has reached an adequate tem-
• The engine coolant has reached an adequate tempera-
• The vehicle speed is sufficiently high.
• The driver is not heavily pressing the accelerator.
STARTING AND OPERATING