There may be situations on minor hills with a loaded
vehicle, or while pulling a trailer, when the system
will not activate and slight rolling may occur. This
could cause a collision with another vehicle or object.
Always remember the driver is responsible for brak-
ing the vehicle.
If you wish to turn on or off the HSA system, it can be done
using the Customer Programmable Features in the Elec-
tronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC). Refer to “Elec-
tronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” in “Understand-
ing Your Instrument Panel” for further information.
For vehicles not equipped with the EVIC, perform the
You must complete Steps 1 through 8 within 90
1. Center the steering wheel (front wheels pointing straight
2. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
3. Apply the parking brake.
4. Start the engine.
5. Release the clutch pedal (if equipped).
6. Rotate the steering wheel one-half turn to the left.
7. Press the “ESC Off” switch (located in the lower
switch bank below the climate controls) four times
within 20 seconds. The “ESC Activation/Malfunction
Indicator Light” should turn on and turn off two
STARTING AND OPERATING